Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Math Activities Using the Living Wage Calculator

There is a lot of talk about needing to make the skills and concepts taught in adult education programs truly meaningful and relevant to the lives of adult learners. I should know. I'm doing a good amount of that talking, personally (it's much bigger than me, obviously, and stems from the impact of Common Core and the College and Career Readiness standards).  That's why my jaw dropped when I heard this story on NPR's Marketplace radio show about Ikea setting its lowest wages according to something called the MIT Living Wage Calculator.

This calculator seems perfect for adult education classrooms and take-home activities.  Adult learners, almost across the board, are more motivated by the prospect of higher more sustainable wages than a credential or entry into college or even increased self-esteem.  Such a bleak reality is part of the fabric of the adult education mission, but it also presents an opportunity: lots of teachable moments that are usable in life beyond the classroom walls.  Learners could use the calculator to figure their local living wage, analyze the equation that resulted in that figure, what they might tweak to suit their own circumstances, etc. My head spins with ideas at the thought of it.

The nifty thing about MIT's Living Wage calculator is that it's actually getting traction where grassroots living wage campaigns have come up short (I speak from experience here in Richmond, VA - ahem, a major historic and modern day slavery landmark).  The defense-mechanism neutralizing effect of a calculator along with the lofty reputation of MIT seems to make the living wage concept palatable to industry and other authorities over personnel and purse-strings.

GED/HiSET/TASC teachers are probably wondering while reading this if they can swap this exciting living wage calculator for the overly complicated TI-30xs.  Not likely. But, you can use the living wage calculator to fuel relevant classroom activities and at-home projects that engage learners and help them aspire to a higher standard of living.  So, what are you waiting for?  Post a comment with the first activity that comes to mind and borrow the ideas left here by your fellow educators.  I'll send a tweet out right now to someone who might be willing to post the first idea(s)...      



7 comments:

  1. I have been working on inequalities this week. I was thinking this might be a great way to get students to see which jobs actually provide a living wage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted from my ipad and it deleted most of the post! So here goes again! I am thinking about taking this calculator and having students see the cost of living for there particular family situation. Once they have been shocked by that! I will have them go on ONET and see the jobs they are working towards and find if the job would make the inequailty true or not. So if they were thinking they were going to take care of a family of four on one income as a CNA would they be able to? I think that would make the inequalities more real. My students do not seem to understand the concept of inequailites very well. I think this is a more concrete way for them to try out the inequailty. Perhaps they could research jobs on ONET.gov that would fit in to make the inequaility true. Not sure exactly. Just in the idea phase! If anyone has extra ideas to add to this let me know! I would love to create some conversation about adult ed. I know you guys are the most creative teachers out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi -- The next issue of The Change Agent is on Food, and I have several articles written from the point of view of workers in the food industry. I also have a page called, "Minimum Wage Math," which helps people understand the minimum wage *and* gives them a chance to do some math related to what they learn. Kelly -- I also want to let you and others know that a recent issue of The Change Agent was called "Good Jobs, Not Just Any Jobs," and it addressed, via student writing and other pieces, this idea that we need our economy and our policies to be creating "good jobs" -- with decent wages and benefits and that are decently fulfilling. I hope you can take a look at it at: http://changeagent.nelrc.org/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to have these contributions on the blog. Somehow, I have never promoted The Change Agent here, but I sure am a fan! Definitely good ideas for connecting instruction to real life. But how do we teach the math that fuels the calculator? I know there are some math teachers out there who want to break down a potential two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the prospect of math activities focused on the economic realities of adult education learners excites you, then you'll definitely want to check out Teaching Economics As If People Mattered from United for a Fair Economy: http://www.teachingeconomics.org/

    The lesson plans and activities were developed right here in my home state of Virginia by someone I used to rub elbows with (gotta reach out and see how she's doin...). Enjoy this resources, if you haven't discovered it already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This calculator seems perfect for adult education classrooms and take-home activities USA city distances Adult learners, almost across the board,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it, Albina. I was an English major, so the more calculators the better.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will help build a community of practice (and everybody will love you for it).