With your comments and the follow up that I hope to do, we can build some bridges between the questions around 'openness' in the article and adult ed's realities and potential directions. A few ideas to consider:
- Can ABE/GED students manage their own learning, or is facilitation key?
- How do subscription based learning programs and free online sites compare?
- Should learners only spend time doing NRS reportable tasks, or should teachers integrate a wider range of source materials and learning experiences?
- Do students learn better in a structured course, or when they are encouraged to explore?
- Which model of providing educational resources helps adult ed programs with retention and expansion?
Maybe we should make a list of Open vs. Closed learning models... (to be continued)